Parent/Guardian: Please read the notice below and complete and sign the form.
Your child may be involved in a variety of activities, which involve students leaving the school grounds on foot. The Board of Education of School District No. 46 (Sunshine Coast) (“SD46”) policy requires the school to have the consent of parents/guardians each time a student leaves the school grounds. Some examples of activities that involve a “walking field trip” in support of the curriculum could include:
• Jogging in the neighbourhood on a Terry Fox Run or for PE on a designated route.
• Walking to a nearby park.
• Walking to a nearby beach.
• Walks to gather leaves, pine cones and other materials for art projects.
• Pitch-in or annual neighbourhood litter clean-up.
• Walking to a nearby creek to observe salmon spawning and to study stream ecology.
• Outings to look for signs of spring or other seasonal changes.
• Walks to study environmental print and shapes in the neighbourhood – e.g., street signs.
• Nature walks along local trails for exploration in support of science topics.
• Other local sites of interest in the proximity of the school.
There will be sufficient adult supervision for every walking field trip. For all of these activities, proper footwear and clothing are needed and following the instructions of the adult supervisor(s) would be expected behaviour. The school’s Code of Conduct applies on all field trips. Please discuss behavioural expectations with your child, as it is important that students hear the same message both at home and at school.
We will make every reasonable effort to give parents/guardians advance notice for walking field trips.
Rather than send home a permission form for each local walking trip, we are asking for your standing consent for your child to participate on these trips. In accordance with regulation #1130, this standing consent form will cover walking field trips that are no further than 2.0 km from the school for students attending elementary school and 3.2 km from the school for students attending secondary school. Field trips outside of these established perimeters will require additional communication and consent.
This consent will be considered valid from the date it is signed and will remain valid for the duration of your child’s enrollment at the school, unless consent is withdrawn in writing to the child’s school principal by the parent/guardian or significant changes are made to the consent form by SD46.
By allowing your child to participate in walking field trips similar to those described above, you are accepting the risk of any accident, if one should occur. Your signature on the following page indicates that you support your child in participating in walking field trips.